Knowledge used to be scarce. You used to have to spend years in university to acquire it and it was only for the elite. Knowledge held a lot of value back then.
Now it’s simple to acquire. A couple of clicks and you can find out anything you need to know, for free.
- Want to learn what the inside of a black hole looks like? You can just click!
- Want to know what soccer player is the leading, all-time, international scorer? It’s a woman. YAS! And you can just click to find out what she’s up to.
- Want to learn how to fold a fitted sheet? (There’s a system?!!?) Just click. And you’re welcome.
Since knowledge is so easily available,
Knowledge is no longer equated with power.
In fact, knowledge is flying at us from all sides. A bombardment of inputs. It’s like we’re becoming receptacles for other people’s agendas.
Our preferences are unwittingly shaped, our choices are deliberately hijacked, and our futures are being decided by people and forces outside ourselves. Like when your boss offers you (scratch that, bullies you with) this “career growth opportunity” to work more weekends and be on call 24/7 for a 2% raise.
It’s no wonder we wake up one day and realize we’re living out the wrong life!
True power now comes from harnessing your attention.
- It’s powerful to consciously choose what you say yes to and what gets a no. No thanks, Boss!
- It’s powerful to be selective.
- It’s powerful to know yourSELF and slice through the noise to make choices aligned with that.
Next time you feel yourself getting bombarded,
Ask yourself: is this true for me?
Then take a bold, courageous step to choose what’s right for you, instead of getting swept away in a current of agendas.
When you honor yourself, you honor the uniqueness that is true for only you. Then you can make a contribution to this world that could only ever come from one person – you.
That’s power in action.
Do Less. Live More.
PS: Mississauga! I’m comin’ for ya! Looking to overcome overwhelm and in the Mississauga, ON area? Join me for an in-person workshop April 27th here: www.jen-archibald.com/serenity-prayati